WMS Dress Code 2021-2022
Wendell Middle School respects students’ rights to express themselves in the manner in which they dress. All students who attend Wendell Middle School (WMS) are also expected to respect the school community by dressing appropriately for a 5th - 8th grade educational environment. It is the purpose of a school to teach students and prepare them for success in their life-long endeavors. In an effort to prepare students to be college and career ready, student attire should facilitate participation in learning, promote the health and safety of students and adults that supervise them, and instill school/work professionalism the following dress code shall be enforced at Wendell Middle School: (This policy is intended to provide guidance for students, staff, and parents.)
1. Tops must cover areas from one armpit across to the other armpit. Tops must cover the shoulders completely. Tops and bottoms must overlap by at least 3 inches.
2. Shoes must be worn at all times and should be safe for the school environment (pajamas, sweats, bedroom shoes or slippers shall not be worn, except for school activities approved by the building administrator).
3. Headgear including hats, hoodies, bandanas and caps are not allowed unless permitted for religious, medical or other reason designated by school administration.
4. Bottoms must be within one vertical length of a student ID card from the top of the kneecap.
5. Clothing must cover undergarments.
1. Clothing may not depict, imply, advertise, or advocate illegal, violent, or lewd conduct, weapons, or the use of alcohol, tobacco, marijuana, e-cigarettes, or other controlled substances.
2. Clothing may not depict or imply pornography, nudity, or sexual acts.
3. Clothing may not display or imply vulgar, discriminatory, obscene language or images.
4. Clothing may not state, imply, or depict hate speech/imagery targeting groups based on race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religious affiliation, or any other protected classification.
5. Sunglasses may not be worn inside the building.
6. Clothing and accessories that endanger students or staff safety may not be worn.
7. Apparel, jewelry, accessories, tattoos, or manner of grooming that, by virtue of its color, arrangement, trademark, or any other attribute, denotes membership in a gang that advocates illegal or disruptive behavior is prohibited.
8. Specialized courses may require specialized attire, such as sports uniforms or safety gear. (Gym shorts, yoga pants, leggings, or any athletic/exercise apparel are not allowed outside of gym classes.)
9. No tears or rips in clothing.
10. No piercings and/or hair coloring that pose a safety concern or are distracting to the educational process.
As there is no way to anticipate changes in student dress and fashion, the building administrator reserves the right to determine what constitutes appropriate dress. Students who do not adhere to these guidelines will not be allowed to attend class. Parents will be called if appropriate clothing is not available or the student refuses dress-code appropriate clothing. Violations of the dress code will be reported in Mileposts.
It is the policy of this school district that students shall dress in a manner which is appropriate for an effective educational environment. While recognizing the importance of allowing students to express their individuality through their attire, the school is responsible for ensuring that student dress is conducive to a positive and respectful environment for all students. All students are, therefore, required to dress in a manner that promotes a safe and healthy school environment, and is not disruptive of the educational climate and process. (WSD Policy NO. 517)
Facial piercing has been judged to be a disruption to both the student and to those around them. Therefore, facial piercing including but not limited to lip rings, eye brow rings, nose rings and tongue rings are prohibited to all students at Wendell Middle School.